October 21, 2008

Buying games using Steam with Wine

OK, so for the first time I found I was having problems purchasing a game in Steam using my wine setup.

I’ve only just got the sound back in Team Fortress 2, and now this?!

Well, I’ve got a solution for you. The problem appears to be with the Wine implementation of iexplorer. The issue is you can click on the purchase button as often as you like, but it won’t take you to anywhere.

I’m running wine 1.1.5 and Fedora 10 Beta

My solution is thus:

Using your web browser in Linux (outside of wine) goto the Steam page and goto http://store.steampowered.com

Steam Powered Site

Navigate to the game you wish to purchase and click on purchase, for example I’m buying Garrys Mod so I search for it and click purchase.

It then presents you with a Got Steam? popup:

Got Steam?

With that window selected press Ctrl+U to view the source, you’re looking for a section like this:

class="gotSteam_yes" onmouseover="this.className='gotSteam_yes_ovr';"
onmouseout="this.className='gotSteam_yes';"
onclick="opener.location.href='steam://purchase/218'; window.close();"
>Yes, I already have
Steam installed!

The important bit is the onclick section.

Copy the bit between the ” ‘s ” so for my game, Garrys Mod, its:

steam://purchase/218

This is a trigger for steam to navigate to the purchase game section.

Now we know where to get the game, we can instruct Internet Explorer in Wine to open it, the command for my setup is:

env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" steam://purchase/218

This will then trigger Steam to load and prompt you with the purchase section.

Purchase Game

Job done. Its a bit of a pain, but how often do you buy games really?

11 Comments on “Buying games using Steam with Wine

rusty
November 4, 2008 at 2:51 am

hoo ever gets this u ples tler me wheele i can get this game at b/c i owas what that game four ever

lee
November 5, 2008 at 12:41 am

To get Garrys mod you need Steam and a Source Engine Game. So for example if you buy Counter Strike:CS you could then buy Garrys Mod, of if you had Half Life 2 you could also.

One of the easiest ways to get Garrys Mod and loads of other great games is the Orange Box: http://orange.half-life2.com/

James
April 15, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed. Buying games is no trouble if you boot into windows, but there is no way to install third party mods without this method.

lee
April 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm

No problem James, anything I find that I struggle with I always try and put a note of how I managed it on my website here, even if just to remind myself.

jamie
April 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for this, I had to use the same method to install the Insurgency mod as using the Store just ended up giving me errors.

Gerhard
August 3, 2009 at 6:59 am

Thx a lot, so i got aa 3 !

James C
September 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Hey, this is great. Is there a way to make an app launcher with the launch info minus the game, so that we an add the game to it when we find one?

lee
September 28, 2009 at 11:08 pm

How do you mean? Sorry I’m missing your point.

Gearoid
October 21, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Hey, thanks a bunch man, this saved me a lot of hassle

lee
October 22, 2009 at 9:08 am

No problem, glad it helped.

fossean
December 2, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Thank you very much for this pointer! I managed to install Insurgency mod using your guide. Here’s what I pasted in terminal…

env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine wine “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” steam://run/17700