August 12, 2008

Thomson TG585v7 Hell

Thomson TG585v7

This is quite possibly the worst router I’ve had to deal with, maybe not the worst but its certainly up there, top 5.

The issue I had was I wanted to forward ports 80 and 443 through it to a web server. So, I did as you’d expect, used its interface, Applications and Gaming (urgh, I hate this on a router used in a workplace) and set to forward HTTPs and HTTP to the server. Well, HTTP worked but HTTPs was a no go. I tried again, this time using the Secure Web Server option which was also there but mapped the same ports for 443. Still no go.

After hours, almost a full man day I found out I needed to telnet into the device (after creating myself a different admin account so I know the username and password) and then run these command:

service system ifdelete name=HTTPs group=wan
saveall

I’m assuming that what this does is turn off the web interface listening on port 443 on the wan interface which stops bypassing my attempts to forward it.

And before anyone mentions it, no there isn’t a way to do this in the web interface, or change the management ports.

I hate Thomsons.

475 Comments on “Thomson TG585v7 Hell

December 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I don’t understand what you’re trying to do, sorry.

James Kilby
December 10, 2010 at 11:11 am

I have two of these routers ( generic firmware) and am trying to run them in bridged mode to send to a proper firewall ( watchguard firebox) to do all the routing etc. I have static IP’s from BT. But cant seem to enable this. I have tried uploading some of the other profiles but they appear to be O2\Be specific and wont upload. Any help would be appreciated

December 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Having not tried that configuration I won’t be much help I’m afraid. Have you had a look through the cli menu system to see if there is anything in there?

@lee
December 11, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Could you tell me how to limit bandwidth creating meters… I have seen some things on the documentation but im afraid ill do it on the correct way… maybe by mac address or static ip…
thanks

December 13, 2010 at 10:07 am

I have no idea I’m afraid. It sounds like recently people are trying to do more then what this router should be used for, which in my opinion is nothing, it should be thrown away.

Andri
December 15, 2010 at 1:21 am

Hello
I have Thomson TG585 v7 router from my ISP with firmware 8.2.3.10
I have a PS3 and two laptops and i’ve been having NAT problems on my PS3 and tried putting it in DMZ by “assign public ip” button.
Worked like a charm at first, my ps3 got NAT 1 and full internet access when I ran connection test on it. But the problem is that both laptops lost the internet connection, I cannot load any website and pinging any site wont work.
I have looked all over the internet and still havnt found any explination for this or solution.
Can anyone help me with this?

regards,
Andri

ps. sorry if my English is bad im from Iceland :)

alex
December 22, 2010 at 11:47 pm

i cant get my ps3 in a dmz iv set up my ps3 for it but when i go into my thompson 585v7 it just wont pop up in the drop bar wtf do i do this making me mad

Kermit
January 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Hi Lee

Im very new to networking so apologies up front. Basically, I had to get a new router a month or so ago as old one gave up the ghost. I was unfortunately given the Thomson Gateway as a freebie from isp. Was a nightmare to set up and get connected (there was me thinking it would just be a case of plug in, username and password!). Eventually got connected, but would only connect to laptop wirelessly by using a manual channel for some reason (channel 6).

Since using this router, I havent been able to access my NAS wirelessly, or connect my internet radio to my media server on my laptop. They just dont see each other. Interestingly, my internet radio connects to the router fine and I can access internet radio, just not my music library on my laptop or NAS.

They are using the following IPs:

Router: 192.168.1.254
Laptop: 192.168.1.229 (wireless static)
Laptop: 192.168.1.250 (ethernet static)
NAS (per router and Front View): 192.168.1.69 (DCHP)
Internet radio 192.168.1.67

It looks like all the devices are on the same subnet so I cant see why they arent speaking to each other. Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.

January 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hi,

A puzzle, interesting. First, your NAS on a DHCP address, I’d have it on a static just so it doesn’t move around.

Have a look on your router for tools like ping, and see if the router can see tour devices.

I’ve had exactly the same problem regarding auto channel on wireless. Would either not see it or intermittently disconnect.

Kermit
January 5, 2011 at 7:32 pm

The router can see the various devices. Indeed, the internet radio is able to use the router to access internet radio stations wirelessly. It just seems that the radio cant access twonkey or the NAS media server, and the NAS cant be seen by Raidar on my laptop wirelessly.

Weird thing is that (after googling some more) tried reducing the size of SSID (was pretty lengthy). The radio could then see the NAS and twonkey but then dropped them again after a few minutes. I wonder if the fact that I can get them to connect like that (albeit for a short time) gives a hint as to the problem?

Will try the NAS on a static. Tried it before, but that was before I tried the SSID solution.

Kermit
January 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Should i be doing something with “Connection sharing” – currently shown as “no game or service assigned to this device”?

January 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

No, I believe that is something else. I’m just about to make my dinner but I’ll email you if that’s ok to see what we can see.

Kermit
January 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Thanks Lee – that’d be great if you email me :)

Kermit
January 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Just to let you know, I finally got it sorted, kind of! See this thread:

Basically its a firmware issue on the crappy router. I can now use all my devices wirelessly, but the NAS is still temperamental (sometimes cant see it from radio). i think the only watertight solution will be to get a decent router. Anyone got any suggestions for a good reliable router for basic home network and media streaming?

Reimos Ludba
January 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Hi I have the thomson tg585v7 which has the SSID, WEP (hex), WPA PSK and Wireless Pin pn the back and I recently bought an xbox 360 slim when I scanned for the router i couldn’t find it so i did specify unlisted network, i filled out everything and it worked good for ablout a day and disconnected. When i tried to repeat the procedure it just didn’t work. Sometimes it does work for about 2 minutes and when i try to talk to someone during that 2 minutes it keeps lagging. Also since my computer doesn’t have wi-fi my computer is connected to my router by an ethernet cable, could this be the problem. My router looks a little different to the picture that you have, heres a link: https://adsl24.co.uk/store/skins/Neutrino/php/getImg.php?src=/store/images/uploads/TG585%281%29.jpg&width=300&height=300

Slightly off task, i noticed that you reply to everyone within 5 hours, how do you do it, do you have like some sort of bleeper whenever theres a new comment, and congratulations on getting so many fans

Reimos Ludba
January 11, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that the xbox can find my neighbours router and some other peoples but not mine.

January 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words, I get an email with each comment and I’m usually near enough to my phone to reply. I just do what I can, you’ve taken the time to comment, the least I can do is reply.

From what you’ve said, the first thing I would try is checking to see if the channel is set to auto for the wireless or to a channel number. It’s possibly on auto, which I’ve had problems with in the past. Try setting it to channel 3 maybe, if no change, try channel 7. If still no luck try a couple more channels before giving up. Let me know.

Reimos Ludba
January 11, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I’m a little new to this so can you tell me how to change the channel, i have my computer connected to my router buy an ethernet cable. sorry for the inconveniance.

January 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Ok, you need to logon to your router using a web browser. You will find plenty of details.on how to do this online.

Yogi
January 19, 2011 at 11:24 am

We have TG585 V7 Router , which we have enabled as DHCP during the configuration setup wizard with some IP (non-192.168.x.x subnet ) , so that once machine will be connected to it , it will give IP from the DHCP pool .

However , when I connects my machine to the router interface , It getting the Ip address from the DHCP pool however the DNS address they are getting is 192.168.1.254 which should not be the case as they should get our own internal DNS IP address .

If I check the Router through Web console it shows me correct DNS IP arress on it , however its not assigning this to the PC connecting to it .

Is there any way (GUI or CLI) I can force router to push the correct Primary and secondary DNS settings to Client machines which connects to it (with LAN or wireless) .???

Gary
January 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hi all,

stumbled across this trying to get a setup working

O2 branded TG585V7 + xbox live + black ops (nat type strict)

the suggestion of telnetting to the box, logging in as SuperUser, setting

ip config natloopback=enabled

(and saving)

got me a NAT type open and a happy fragging session

Cheers!

Gary

January 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Glad it worked ok for you :)

rickygm
January 27, 2011 at 6:02 am

Hi , I have a problem with a server linux mail , I cannot send mail because this router speedtouch st585v6 blocks me the port 25 and I have disabled the firewall, I can receive mail that to arrive to my server linux, but I cannot send

any idea?

regardss

January 27, 2011 at 7:49 am

Are you using another server to send through or are you trying to send straight out from your server?

It sounds like if you can’t send out that your ISP is blocking that traffic. Try sending out email through their SMTP server.

rickygm
January 27, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I have my own server linux is connected a speedtouch st585v6 , I can receive mail but not send

speedtouch have a ip public address , my server linux have ip private of speed touch

Internet ==== Speedtouch Ip public 200.x.x.x ==== eth1 – Linux server “192.168.1.65 , eth2 – 192.168.15.20 LAN

telnet gmail.com 25
Trying 74.125.159.17…

the firewall in the speed touch is disable

thank for you help !!

January 28, 2011 at 7:54 am

Try:

telnet smtp.gmail.com 587

or

telnet smtp.gmail.com 465

If you are connecting to Googles SMTP server I am assuming you’re trying to send out through them?

Who is your ISP?

Darren
February 3, 2011 at 7:00 am

Hi Lee, great to see that there are still people out there willing to spend their time helping others, great work and keep it up it is appreciated dude.

Question: I am trying to script a batch file to disconnect and reconnect the Internet on the THOMSON TG585v7. I want to do this so at a certain time the teenagers have to go sleep and won’t stay up till early hours in the morning on the net.

Thanks in advanced for your assistance
Darren

February 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I don’t know of a way to do this I’m afraid but what about the low-tech solution of a timer on the powerplug?

Kermit
February 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Just to let y’all know, after much moaning, ISP agreed to provide me with a nice new Netgear router. Setup was a breeze, upload and download speeds top notch, and no problems with my wireless network (including internet radio and NAS).

Needless to say, the Thomson is getting stashed in the attic… useless piece of kit.

February 6, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Glad you got it sorted, and glad to see my first statement on this router stands.

Thanks for posting back.

will
February 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

thanks very much. what a pain in the ass that was, thanks for the heads up.

Hugo Rosário
February 21, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks for the tip. Saved my day.

David
March 2, 2011 at 2:38 am

Hi Lee,

I follow your blog and read many comment. I’m trying to open my port on my router Thomson TG585V7. I have already forward the port on the configuration of the router. Also, when I play on my xbox it say that my nat is closed… so I can’t rejoin some of my friends. I have tried the command ip config natloopback=enabled; saveall

The port that I want to open is the 25565. This is the default port number for the Minecraft server.

I need help! Thank you.

March 6, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I assume you have tried opening the port using the web interface?

Natloopback is just for accessing the ports locally using your external up address. Hence the term loopback as traffic destined for the internet is looped back.

David
March 8, 2011 at 5:21 am

Sure, I have open the port on the web interface. But this not work for me… I have call my Internet Company and they will send me just the modem. So, I will see if I can open port with my own router.

red
April 7, 2011 at 7:33 am

hi i have a thomson tg585 v8 from NZ, im using it here in the philippines i am sure of the username and password my isP gave me but it always says disconnected by user.. the same u/p is working on my dlink wireless i need help

April 7, 2011 at 7:44 am

It is likely that your Thomson router is locked down to only accept the username from your previous ISP. You might be able to find another firmware for it online and reflash it though.

Aldo
April 18, 2011 at 4:53 am

I have a bit of a problem. I have a few videos stored on my laptop which I try to view from my ps3. I connect the ps3 via wireless and its setup with wpa2. The ps3 connects fine but after 10 minutes of viewing a video it stops the connection to the media server(laptop). To fix this I have to reboot the router and I can watch any video for as long as I want. After I turn off the ps3 and reconnect via wireless I have to reboot the router or I have the issue again. This problem only occurs via wireless. The router has version 8.6.14.9.

If I try wpa instead of wpa2 I have same issue. I can’t use other type of security as a neighbor once got in my network with wep. Also I used to have a 2wire 2700hg and never had any problems with that.

Any help with this would be great.

April 18, 2011 at 6:51 am

I used to have a similar problem with a Linksys router. Have you tried changing wireless channels?

I wouldn’t use anything but WPA2 as WPA and WEP are both crackable.

Aldo
April 18, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Thanks, I have tried using channels 1, 6 and 11 and when it was on auto I saw it used 8. Noticed that my neighbors have 3, 6 and 11. It’s all the same though. Just called isp and they will be replacing the router. I will be testing 1 more thing. On my 2wire I was never able to enable uPnP and on the Thomson it’s enabled. I will try with it off and see if it makes a difference.

I also noticed another thing to get wireless to work normally. I don’t necessarily have to reboot the router, if I reboot the ps3 it works fine again but I haven’t done enough tests with this to see how true it is as I made some changes on router before I rebooted the ps3.

April 18, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Good luck

Wei
May 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

Lee u seems like good at port forwarding tg585 , I have a Issue with my tg585 v7 port forwarding , I m trying to port forwarding a game client , but it seems like it doesn’t work .0

May 11, 2011 at 11:41 am

What game client? Also, if you know which ports etc too.

Is this just for playing games or for hosting a game like a server?

wei
May 11, 2011 at 11:50 am

hi lee
i have an problem with port forwarding my tg585 v7
i have dont the static ip correctly, and port forward 1511 both is open , and able to ping my router ,
but it still wont work with my game client.

wei
May 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

its garena game client ,. i want to hosting game too. it seems like my router doesnt respont my port forwarding because i have port checker and the reslut is port open and able to ping my router

helen
May 22, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Hello i have this router by the telekomaustria is exately as in the picture a Thomson 585 v7.I have disabled the firewall i can entyer it olso without the user and password but…i dont know if somebody cn help me.I download everything with dc++ emule and mirc but…i can reflex files This i think maybe is something that is blocked by firewall.In Italy instead i have a Netgear dg834 git and i can do everything so…i found somewere a solution (maybe) somebody post a way by telnet to REALY DISABLE FIREWALL in the router infact they was writeing that olso if the fierewall di disable is allways activated.I cnt finde that page to print it out do somebody know this way and can post it again for me or will be realy SUPER if somebody haves the same problem with reflex on mirc and have sort it out then can tell me how i must do.
Thank’s
Helen

Xeroxoid
May 23, 2011 at 3:01 am

Thanks a lot man. It took me hours to figure out!
Also thanks to all the users leaving helpful comments (Enable telnet etc.)

I found out that telnet was enabled for 3 IPs that I didn’t know about (did a whois and found that the 2 belonged to “RIPE Network Coordination Centre”
and one to IANA… Dunno what this is all about, any ideas? I remove them anyway.

Now I also figured that for people that do not want to get into all the telnet hassle (in Windows 7 you do not have the client installed by default) they can do the following:

1. Download the configuration
2. Edit user.ini file
3. Find the [ servmgr.ini ] section
4. Remove the “ifadd name=HTTPs group=wan” line
5. Save the file
6. Restore the configuration using this file

Hope I helped with my 2 cents.

Also, does nayone know any custom (i.e. better) third party firmware for this little piece of hell?

Regards!

Tam
May 24, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hi Lee,

This is a PS3 question again please if you get a chance check this out as I have read every comment in this thread and about 50 others and can’t get it to work!

The major issue on the 585v7 is when you set up a static IP that device is not found on the drop down list in “set up as public blabla” (the “DMZ).

This function is fixed on other firmwares but us NZ users appear to be locked to this firmware version (because of our crappy ISP). I have no idea if we can flash the firmware since no one appears to have tried it and posted results.

Port forwarding literally DOES NOT WORK on the telecom version of this router, manually configuring it does absolutely nothing.

If there is any solution to this you know of please help us out! So many of us kiwi’s with this modem who are stuck with horrible lags and disconnects when we try to game :(

Thanks!

ViRaGisTe
June 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm

FAIL !
Thomson TG585 is the biggest piece of junk i’ve ever dealt with .. like the slow **s tunisian internet isn’t bad enough.

first of all, the web interface has nothing interesting but some nonsenses : web browser interception … oh comeon !
firewall has only 3 options: enable, disable,block outbound … no ip filters or anti-flood .. is this some kind of sick joke ?
Assign external ip to a device .. jeeeee here’s a surprise !
and the crappiest of all : Port Forwarding literally DOES NOT WORK ON ANY VERSION becuz of some hardware issue the router ain’t able to maintain the configuration in his tiny memory, everytime the ext-ip changes or restart or shut down you have to restore to factory settings using the reset button to get rid of some “ghost” data in his memry and reconfigure all the stuff o.0 again
hopefully u can do this faster with a custom batch file containing all the commands the guys have mentioned above (dont bother urelf file sving config/restoring is useless)…. otherwise this port forwarding thing aint working…

I’ve been trying to host a HLStatsX CE website, it works good the first time, but after first restart or shutdown or IPchange, I spend hours banging my head on the keyboard just to make that piece of crap redirect queries to my site not the router web interface !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomson Routers are Highly UN-recommended !

June 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Sorry Tam, my suggestion is buy another router.