August 12, 2008

Thomson TG585v7 Hell

Thomson TG585v7

This is quite possibly the worst router I’ve had to deal with, maybe not the worst but its certainly up there, top 5.

The issue I had was I wanted to forward ports 80 and 443 through it to a web server. So, I did as you’d expect, used its interface, Applications and Gaming (urgh, I hate this on a router used in a workplace) and set to forward HTTPs and HTTP to the server. Well, HTTP worked but HTTPs was a no go. I tried again, this time using the Secure Web Server option which was also there but mapped the same ports for 443. Still no go.

After hours, almost a full man day I found out I needed to telnet into the device (after creating myself a different admin account so I know the username and password) and then run these command:

service system ifdelete name=HTTPs group=wan
saveall

I’m assuming that what this does is turn off the web interface listening on port 443 on the wan interface which stops bypassing my attempts to forward it.

And before anyone mentions it, no there isn’t a way to do this in the web interface, or change the management ports.

I hate Thomsons.

475 Comments on “Thomson TG585v7 Hell

juan
June 9, 2011 at 2:18 am

Septembre 15th follow up.

I want to thank you Lee for all your help, and share that my problem was unrelated to the modem configuration. It had to do with the routes configuration on the SSH server box.

Having two interfaces (one for a SpeedStream modem and the second to a Thomson modem), traffic was being routed through the default gateway (to the SpeedStream). This caused that a ssh connection through the Thomson modem could not be established from outside (the modem was correctly forwarding the connection to the SSH server box).

A solution can be found in http://kindlund.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/configuring-multiple-default-routes-in-linux/

Regards.

Chi Chi Latté
July 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Lee. Saved my bacon!

TonyC
July 26, 2011 at 9:54 am

I have a CCTV unit that I want to access remotely it is connected to the TG585 v7 but like everyone else I cannot work out how to make it accessible from outside of the router (it works OK inside the router) I guess I need to set up port forwarding any help welcome.

lee
July 26, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Hi Tony, do you know what port it is running on? So internally are you putting in any special address in a browser or is it a software client?

TonyC
July 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hi lee thanks for coming back, the guy who installed the CCTV says it needs to be on ports
Port 90
Ports 5050
Ports 6050
Ports 7050
it is accessed using a browser and the internal address for the web browser is 192.168.1.67
The router shows its own public address in the config should I be able to ping it from another location

lee
July 27, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Ping is a different protocol. You want to use telnet to test those ports. Should be fine to open and port forward those though using normal interface.

Tomplums
August 19, 2011 at 10:11 am

Hi Lee,

is it possible to assign ports to an IP address with the Thompson TG585v7?

I’m having no luck whatsoever with it – I’m beginning to think I should buy a separate router?

Tom

lee
August 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm

yes, if you’re referring to port forwarding?

Tomplums
August 22, 2011 at 3:44 pm

yes I was referring to port forwarding. I’m trying set up an FTP server but the router just doesn’t appear to be opening ports.

T

lee
August 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Depending on your FTP server setup, often they need a lot more then port 21 opening:

see here: http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Panzerbjørn
September 23, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Wow, I am seriously impressed at how long this topic has been active :-)
Just over 3 years, I guess it shows just how rubbish these routers are.

Personally I’m struggling with getting port forwarding set up to an IP address as the router doesn’t seem to have working UPnP (Despite being ticked) and it wants me to select an attached device from a drop down list… NO! I want to specify an IP address dammit -_-

Lots of good info here I will be going through…

lee
September 24, 2011 at 11:39 am

3 years, yes its a labour of un-love on these routers. I actually now have one in storage that I have to play with if people get really stuck. If you need assistance after reading through the comments, comment again and I’ll try to remember to help :)

Ale
October 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm

This stuff saved me hours and hours of frustrated research/work… I have a Thomson TG782 and this also works in this router… Thanks.

lee
October 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm

No problem, glad its still relevant :)

Jason
October 10, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Contrary to the various insults of the Thomson TG585v7, I bought a pair for £5 (pounds, uk) from a boot sale,
and found the easy way to step through firmwares until I un-branded it and stuffed the Austrian 8.6.9 into it.
Prior to this, it DOES suffer a bug which causes it to lock up (documented nat table fillup bug or something).
But after that, the “internet ready” led at the top, despite all internal DNS bits turned off, is green, it never crashes now, and… does port forwarding as easy as any router out there, issues out the DHCP range and DNS servers and local domain I use, and the static address forwards all things in, to various systems internally, without issue. Some of its methodology – like assigning inbound ports to MAC addresses is indeed frustrating, but in hindsight, those never change, and all you have to do is issue an arp command from any OS, (after pinging your servers and things once) and compare them to the list it sees, edit their little host name list, and… live with it. It then works.

If you spend a little time with it, learn a few command line functions, it’s a VERY fast, and reliable router.
It is also the only router outside of the awful 2Wire BT business supplied router which fully agrees with the
Huwawei 21CN equipment being rolled out – It’s synced up at 18,415 MBit down, 1,179 MBit up, and if connecting in from a suitably-connected system, it achieves the theoretical limit of that with header and ecc
etc.

Now.. I switched to 8 public addresses last night.. and switched back to one. On this point, I really really need to find someone elses user.ini file, as reading their examples gave me a hangover, and I gave up, paid the regrade fee, and luckily was issued the same fixed. Plan Plan Plan next time.

If anyone has used these with 8 public fixed, in either extended-nat or no-nat, I’d love to see your user.ini file, minus your login id (easily located in there) of course!

ian stroulger
November 8, 2011 at 12:32 am

do you now how to get your wirelessnetwork and password as i got a thomson tg585 v7 from tiscali . and have now been took over by talk talk and wiil not help me get it.i have used all the numbers on the router this does not work .as i want to put a nother lap top on it .is ther another way round this many thanks

lee
November 8, 2011 at 7:32 am

Have you tried resetting it then trying the details on the router?

ian stroulger
November 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm

do you meen reseting the router or reseting in the program on the lap top

lee
November 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Resetting the router, using the button on the back.

Vic
January 15, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Would really appreciate if you could advise below, not sure if the screenshot have come through to this link…

Firewall set to Standard as per default. I did create a CCTV firewall, when applied the settings i lost all internet connection and the internet icon light did not reappear. I had to get the ISP to do something to it nd wait 2 hours for internet to reappear. Even a hard reset did not work…OMG!!!

Set up port forwarding (leaving the firewall set to standard)
See below, does this look ok so far – according to the script, so far so good

In some forums it is mentioned to disable the UPnP? Does that need to be done for CCTV to work through the router?
An additional screenshot of the setup below- (2 ports opened up 80 &8080)

When i open up the cctv app with the settings matching to whats on the router. I receive a timeout error. Any advise with regards to me setting up the router correctly would be of great help.

lee
January 15, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Hi, can’t see screenshots in comments, sorry.

Not sure on your issue, changing the firewall shouldn’t almost destroy your router though.

Jesus
March 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm

This really helped me rid of all the problems I had with this ass router for the years to follow:

1. Get the latest firmware for the TG585v7 to reduce overheating and powercycles every 6-hours http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3455
2. Load the old user.ini with all the authentication protocol info backed up from the old firmware
3. For games like Starcraft which are really sensitive to networking issues, and prevents you from hosting, or causes you to seriously lag or drop in-game, you need to uncheck uPnP and portforward accordingly if you’re going to stick with dynamic IP settings.
4. Tweak to unstable speeds
5. ????
6. PROFIT

vartan
March 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm

i would be very greatfull if anyone could help me with my problem. Im working on a Thomson TG585v7 modem router using a DSL internet connection, and i need to forward port 80 on my modem router. i observed that i was able to forward many ports…. like 9000… 8000… but when it comes to 80, and i test it on a port tool configuration that shows if the port is open, it shoes request times out. i tried the impossible and its not working, im sure that the port 80 is not opening with me.. can anyone help me plzzzz??? thank u

Lee
March 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Hi, when you access the router do you do it via http or https?

I’m thinking its http and as mentioned in the blog post, its due to the router using that port 80.